1884 Lady Campbell, née Nina Lehmann by Sir John Everett Millais (auctioned by Christie's)

Christie’s lot essay includes this, " They would have four boys and two girls. He died 12 September 1931, and she in 1933.

The work was painted in the month leading up to Nina Lehmann's marriage, to Guy Theophilus Campbell, 3rd Bt, of Thames Ditton, born in 1854 and who served in the Afghan War of 1878-80. They married on 30 April 1884, just before the Grosvenor opened in the first week of May, and less than two years after he had succeeded as Baronet. They would have four boys and two girls. He died 12 September 1931, and she in 1933…” There is more biographical information in the lot essay notes. Her article in thepeerage is here.

From the Christie’s Web site.

1884 Lady Campbell, née Nina Lehmann by Sir John Everett Millais (auctioned by Christie's) From the Christie's Web site

This portrait dates to early 1884, before the bustle staged its comeback. The waist band is almost a Swiss belt (double vee).

Christie’s lot essay includes this about the dress and setting, "Millais posed her in a fashionable cap-sleeved white evening dress, with its narrow shoulders and wide bust and a small bouquet of forget-me-nots fastened in front, and a triple-strand pearl necklace, and seated on an oak chest alongside her gloves and a blue Nankin vase filled with tulips. She holds a fan, and looks off to her right... 

The work was painted in the month leading up to Nina Lehmann's marriage, to Guy Theophilus Campbell, 3rd Bt, of Thames Ditton, born in 1854 and who served in the Afghan War of 1878-80. They married on 30 April 1884... less than two years after he had succeeded as Baronet…"

Keywords:  1884, Millais, Nina Lehman, Lady Campbell, Lehman family, Campbell family, British, straight coiffure, bangs, necklace, bodice, square neckline, modesty piece, floral bodice ornament, cap sleeves, waist band, natural waistline, close skirt, under-skirt, flounces, gloves, folding fan

This site is for educational and information use. It is open for downloading and use without charge. I only ask that these images not be used for profit! I can be contacted at:  contactme@gogmsite.net.